April’s cover page features adorable mandala jellyfish. This is one of my favorite covers I’ve ever created! I used a new product and technique to get the “ink splat” effect. I was so happy with how this turned out I just had to create the monthly and weekly spreads to go along! The inspo for this page came from a mandala coloring book called Animal Kingdom by Millie Marotta. Coloring has been an ongoing activity in our household since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. We live in Wisconsin and our state is currently under a stay at home order for another 30 days. I hope you all are staying healthy and staying at home! I’ve had more time on my hands so bullet journaling has been happening a lot more often! I can’t say I’m not happy about that!
The lettering and mandala jellyfish were created with my go-to micron pen set. I used the 005 and the 05 to complete the outlines and details of the mandala jellyfish. I used a new product for this month’s color hues and I absolutely LOVE these new pens! Drumroll, please……..Arteza real brush pens! These amazing pens were a birthday gift from my husband! I was super impressed with the quality of these pens and the amount of ink that came out. The ink has a great watercolor effect and even comes with an additional water pen to help spread the color!
I chose to stick to one color to be featured for the monthly and weekly spreads. I discovered that Arteza pens are very buildable! To achieve darker hues, I just kept layering the color. To achieve lighter hues, I used a water brush pen to spread the color out. The brand also sells a set of water brush pens. I highly recommend purchasing additional water brush pens because the nylon tips tend to get saturated with color. I also recommend putting an extra sheet of paper underneath as the water pen causes the color to bleed.
Who knew jellyfish could be so fun to create! I love to incorporate mandalas into my designs every now & then. I enjoy drawing them just as much as I enjoy coloring them. Although there isn’t much to plan for this April, I hope you are all motivated to take this time to get ahead and come out stronger than ever! I am thankful for the time I get to spend at home creating! I look forward to seeing your April designs!
Here is a look back at my April 2019 Lilac cover page!
Check out my list of bullet journaling Amazon essentials!
- Stabilo Boss Highlighters
- Prisma colored pencils, simply the best.
- Pentel GraphGear 500 mechanical pencil.
- Arteza Real Brush Pens Soft tip nylon brush pens, when you add water it gives an awesome watercolor effect!
- Fabriano journals are my favorite! The soft paper allows any pen or marker to glide easily.
- If you are new to bullet journaling, I recommend paper pads by Kelly Creates. She has grid ones that help with lettering and dotted ones that help with doodling!
- Micron pens and brush markers are a must-have in your bujo supplies!
- I recommend the prisma hand lettering set of markers for those getting serious about lettering.
- Crayola supertips are also a must-have! I have the 100 ct box that comes with all the colors you need.
- Midliner highlighters are very buildable and blend easily as well.
- Washi tape always comes in handy, especially when you make a mistake.
- White Gel Pens to help accent and add definition to your lettering or designs!
- Le Pen is a fancy little pen I just love using! It moves effortlessly across the page creating smooth and crisp lines!
7 thoughts on “Mandala Jellyfish April Cover Page”
I love the designs, especially how you created the ink splat effect and went with one color per spread!
Thanks so much! It was so much fun to create! 🥳
LikeLiked by 1 person
So pretty! My daughter loves to bullet journal, I’ll show her this
very cute, love those cute jellies!
Hi! I’m ‘no good at this creating thing’ (or so I tell myself). But they look like someone I could try. Thanks!
Oh, those jellyfish are very beautiful! Well done, you are so talented! ^_^